Ag Timber Number Renewal in Texas
If you’re in the agricultural or timber business and claim agricultural exemption, it’s time to renew your Ag Timber number. Ag timber numbers must be renewed every four years, regardless of when the number was first issued. State law, requires farmers and ranchers claiming agricultural exemptions to register with the Comptroller to obtain Ag/Timber Number. Farmers, ranchers, and timber operators cannot purchase qualifying items tax-free without a current Ag/Timber Number.
Renewal begins in October. To apply online, click here. Applicants who apply online will receive a registration number immediately. Additionally, you can call the Texas State Comptrollers Office Fax on Demand service at 1-800-531-1441, or call 1-800-252-5555 to ask for an application to be mailed to you.
Who is eligible for the new Ag Timber Number?
Anyone engaged in the production of agricultural or timber products for sale in the regular course of business may complete an application for Ag/Timber Number, including:
- farmers and ranchers who raise agricultural products to sell to others;
- persons engaged in aquaculture and apiculture; (i.e., commercial fish farms or beekeepers);
- custom harvesters;
- persons engaged in agricultural aircraft operations, as defined by 14 C.F.R. Section 137.3 (crop dusting);
- commercial nurseries engaged in fostering the growth of plants for sale (i.e., growing stock from seed or cuttings, replanting seedlings in larger containers);
- timber producers, including contract lumberjacks.