Ok, they’re in the house, so how do we get them out? It depends on where they are and what they are. For now let’s presume they are rats or mice in the attic. The choice of weapons include rodenticides (poison), live and kill traps, sonic deterrent devices, fox urine (predator scents) and just let them be.
Rodenticides (poison) work but they have unforeseen consequences. All rodenticides that non-licensed folks can buy work the same way. Poisons make them thirsty to drive them out of the structure to water and then they bleed to death. This happens about 90% of the time. The other 10% die in the house. Then you move into recovery and removal of the body. The critters that make it outside are easy prey for hawks, owls, coyotes, bobcats, domestic dogs and cats. The odds are good that these predators will not survive eating a poisoned critter. This is why I consider them a last resort.
I have heard mixed reviews on the sonic deterrents. We do sell both live and kill traps that work very well. If you go with a live trap and intend to set them free, you need a place to release what you trap. Don’t do it in an area that turns a critter into someone else’s problem. But if live traps are what you want then here is an important tip; cover the top and sides of the trap. The critter needs to see front to back not side to side. I do advise folks to use kill traps like snap traps and glue boards on rats and mice. Spring and live traps must be baited and this can be a trial and error learning curve. I know it sound cliché but cheese works well for rats and mice. Whatever you do, don’t just leave them alone. They bring with them insects (fleas mainly) and can cause major damage to your house and car.
For rats and mice as well as most mammals in the attic, the go-to product is a liquid predator scent. Fox or coyote urine are the predator scents that have the best track record right behind a firearm. You must know the point of entry of your visitor and what time of the day or night they are not there. Rats and mice are nocturnal. They will start moving about 8:00 pm and settle down around 6:00 am. You will need some predator scent and an applicator. Applicators consists of a cotton ball in a plastic bottle with four holes drilled in it. Pour enough fox urine in the bottle to cover the cotton ball. A good pair of dishwashing gloves is a sound investment. Place the charged applicators within ten feet of the entry hole. If you have to throw them it’s ok. Do not fix the hole until it has been two days with no sounds of activity.