- On September 1, 1939, Nazi Germany launched the invasion of Poland marking the start of World War II.
- September 2, 1945 President Truman proclaims V-J Day upon the surrender of the Japanese.
- September 8, 1900 the worst weather disaster in U.S. history: a hurricane with winds of 120 mph struck Galveston Texas, killing over 8,000 people.
- On September 11, 2001 the worst terrorist attack in U.S. history took place, killing 2996 people (and yes I am still pissed off about it).
- The good news is that on September 23, autumn begins in the Northern Hemisphere.
- Autumn begins:
“It is not often that a man can make opportunities for himself. But he can put himself in such shape that when or if the opportunities come he is ready.” Theodore Roosevelt (1858 – 1919)